This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A Sandy Story

Dear Readers,

Ack.  3 months......  I was counseled 3 months ago via priesthood blessing to write on this blog, but my how time has flown.  I shall do my best to start.  Material isn't the issue.  Time to write a blog post that meets the Lindsay standard is the issue.  Either time to make more time (anyone have a good recipe ;) ) or time to lower the Lindsay standard.

Today as I drove to the temple I passed a car accident.  The way the car was positioned, the emergency vehicles were positioned, the glass on the road was positioned, etc.  I remembered another car accident that I drove past last year.

It was summer.  It was hot.  It was night.  A lady that I visit taught at that time was alone.  Her husband was deployed overseas and she missed adult conversation.  She had 5 kids that she homeschooled so she was NEVER alone, alone (except when I babysat them so she could grocery shop in peace!)  So one night, we scheduled a talk date to fulfill this need of adult conversation.  I went over after she put her kids to bed and then stayed very late!  We talked, and talked, and talked, and I yawned and yawned and yawned, because I was staying much later than my bedtime.  I think I left at 10:30pm, ok you can start laughing, that's not late to some people I know, but it was to me at that time.  I was starting to drive home when a little voice told me to drive another way home, because it might be "faster".  I wasn't really sure it was faster, but I knew my husband was waiting up for me, and hey why not....I might learn something new.  Who wouldn't want to shorten a 25 minute drive that I was making regularly to help this sister?

I started to drive the alternate way home and decided I was sure it probably wasn't faster.  I got mad at myself for listening to this little voice because it had made me slower when I was trying to be faster!  I turned onto the beach highway noticing how sandy the intersection was.  It wasn't uncommon for sand to blow on the highway.  The beach bordered the highway and so when sea breezes pushed the sand inland the highway was the first place to go.  Still tonight this intersection seemed to have a lot more than usual and I carefully made the turn.  As I completed my left turn onto the highway I saw there was an accident.  A car had lost control and veered off the road.

It only took a few seconds to put it all together in my mind.  The Holy Ghost had warned me.  He had prompted me to drive the other way home.  Driving my original route would have put me on the beach highway sooner and I would have sped through that intersection at 50 mph not knowing that there was more sand on the road than I had seen before.  I could have veered off the road myself or been present when the other car had.  In my "haste" I might have made a perilous decision which definitely would NOT have been faster if I had an accident.  How grateful I am for the GIFT of the Holy Ghost (great video here).  I am blessed.

I had a lovely time at the temple today.  I am grateful for my blessings.  I am grateful for the remembrance of my blessings and pray that I can make time to write them here.

Hope all is well,
Lindsay

P.S. What rusty writing!

No comments: