This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Cherishing the Role

Dear Friend M,

I considered naming today's post "Three minutes in a bathroom", but I just knew that wasn't a good idea to post on the internet.  I am writing today though to inform you that I will have to cancel piano lessons tomorrow.  My piano is inaccessible because that "piano studio" is not the piano studio anymore.  It's a mess of boxes.

I might actually get some work done if I wasn't staring at my kids all day cherishing my role as a mother.  They are just too cute and distracting and I don't want to blink and miss a thing.

So recently some of my best motherhood moments were....you guessed it.....in the bathroom.  Now I've definitely had plenty of terrible and yucky motherhood moments in the bathroom as well (though I'm grateful that those usually turn into fatherhood moments :) )

My daughter and I were in a busy airport.  I took her into the bathroom and waited for her.  I then informed her that I would be using the restroom and due to the large hustle and bustle of that busy airport that she could either come in the stall with me or wait right outside the stall door where I could see her shoes so that I would know if anyone tried to steal her.  She opted to wait outside and I saw her brand new purple/ white tennis shoes restlessly waiting, but obediently right outside the door.  The next thing I know I see little pudgy fingers trying to poke through the gap in-between the door and the wall where the hinges are.  It made me smile to see my kid act like a kid!  What would you do if you had to wait outside of a bathroom stall.  Then I can tell she's tapping all around the door and proceeds to knock the door the open!!! (stupid unreliable lock)  I think this was due to trying to get her other fingers through the gap on the otherside of the door all at once.  She quickly closed it for me, but I wasn't mad.  I was too amused at watching her child-like fun (in a mundane situation.)

We made our way over to the sinks and the fun continued.  I washed my hands.  She washed her hands and then went to dry them.  I was wondering what was taking her so long when I noticed that she was making faces in the curved shiny metal nozzle as it was an electric blower.  The curved metal was distorting her face as she moved closer and then further away.  We laughed together.  I opted to use a paper towel (personal preference, and I figured since both were offered you were supposed to choose your personal preference).  It was an automatic dispenser and I raised my hand which in turn turned on a light as a towel came buzzing out.  My daughter, being a child, noticed the light, and was fascinated by the automation of the machine and held her hand out to make a paper towel dispense right into her hand as well.

We then went bouncing back out into the airport never having had so much fun!  I've used a bathroom hundreds, thousands of times.  I've helped my daughter in the bathroom hundreds, thousands? of times.  I'm grateful that I could see the experience through her eyes.

I love being a mom, and because of this my piano is inaccessible.  I'd apologize for quite literally staring at my children all day, but I just can't.  My road to motherhood isn't the road that I wanted to start or finish, but I do want to "cherish the role that is uniquely mine,"(Elder Holland, source) because no one else gets to have the angels that I do.

This quote is always in the back of my mind:
"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly." Thomas S. Monson, source
I wasn't the best at cherishing my time as a mother in the past, but now I am a lot better about it.

See you next week!

Un-Regretfully,
Lindsay

*The three minutes is just an estimate...I didn't time it :)

No comments: