This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Grateful for Life

Dear Daughter,

Do you know what peeling toenail polish, a pan of cornbread, and Cinco de Mayo cupcakes have in common?  These are all things that we've done together.  These are all things that I could have done a lot faster by myself and a lot neater, but the time doing them together is priceless to me.  I'm so glad that I have you and that you're mine.

I'm so grateful that we're both alive to have these experiences together.  In recent months there have been tragedies that have taken precious lives.  Children were gunned down in Newtown, CT and runners were bombed at the Boston Marathon.  Innocent people have had their mortal lives shortened.

It could have been you or I.

Each day I drop you off at school expecting you to be there when I return.  I expect you'll be safe.  I like to run and hope to race more marathons in the future.  The Boston Marathon is one of the most respected in the country as you have to qualify for it.  I'd love to run it someday.

But, we're still here.

I love you.  I love that every time you paint my nails it gets all over my skin as well.  I love that making cornbread took 4-5 times longer than if I had done it myself and was completely over-mixed because you can't pour ingredients as fast.  I love that I had to send you back to wash your hands at least 15 times because you kept licking frosting and sprinkles while decorating our Cinco de Mayo cupcakes.  They're for Break the Fast and I originally wanted to set out a sign that said "Made by Daughter",( because they definitely look like a child made them).  I've embraced that the imperfections represent our love and time spent together.

I'm grateful for life.  Mine.  And yours.

Let's do something awesome together. "One day, each of us will run out of tomorrows. Let us not put off what is most important.  Live in the present." (source)

Love,
Mom (Lindsay)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this, thanks for posting!
-Melissa