This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Let Earth Receive Her King

Dear Readers,

So posting everyday didn't last very long :).  The past few days I've been crying in bed, feeling wronged by the world.  Not my best self for sure, but I do strive for complete transparancy.  Now, granted there were legitimate things that happened to me this week that were wrong and upsetting, I slipped right into all Grinch-dom....Christmas angel, my foot (no, that was real and legit).  Oh what a roller-coaster it's been this week.

I tried to bring myself to post something the past couple of days, because I'm not happy and rosy all the time nor is my life glamorous and perfect and I don't want to portray myself as that way.  Honestly, I couldn't bring myself to talk about the gospel so down in the dumps without being really hypocritical.  "Really, let the atonement help you..." when I had no intention of letting it help me.  Thankfully the moment has passed and I am feeling more positive and ready to resume normal, rational life.  Today I opened the blinds in my living room.  I haven't done that all week.  Read here about opening the blinds in my house as an analogy to letting Christ in your life.

Yeah, not perfect I know.  I chose to have 2 days of despair this week.  I have been thinking about that post though and how it has tied in with messages that I heard this weekend.  When I mentioned in my post about the funeral that the Bishop had a nice Christmas message, well no joke, it was some of the same things that President Monson said the very next day at the First Presidency Christmas Devotional.  My bishop had read the same verse of O Little Town of Bethlehem that President Monson read.


How silently, how silently
The wondrous gift is giv’n!
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of his heav’n.
No ear may hear his coming;
But in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive him, still
The dear Christ enters in.

My bishop spoke of the word "receive", that it was our choice to receive Christ in our lives.  I have since found out that no one at the funeral was LDS (besides the Bishop, myself, and 2 Elders) which made his talk all the more powerful to me.  When we choose the act of letting Him in, Christ will come in.  I like how the hymn says "In this world of sin, where meek souls will receive him, still".  So basically saying, Christ really, really wants to come, He's just looking for anyone left in the sinful world to do so.  God has already given us this "wondrous gift", we just have to choose to receive it.

I'm not going to do a separate post on the Devotional, so let me just share one great quote from Pres. Monson.

"Let us make Christmas real. It isn’t just tinsel and ribbon, unless we have made it so in our lives. Christmas is the spirit of giving without a thought of getting. It is happiness because we see joy in people. It is forgetting self and finding time for others. It is discarding the meaningless and stressing the true values. It is peace because we have found peace in the Savior’s teachings. It is the time we realize most deeply that the more love is expended, the more there is of it for others." (emphasis added)
Then of course Pres. Uchtdorf spoke about being a good and grateful receiver.  When he started to speak I honestly thought in my head "Go Bishop, Go Bishop".  How inspired he must have been to have been thinking the same topics as the First Presidency.  And then I felt how grateful that I was able to hear all of the inspired thoughts that were shared on both days.


"I hope that this Christmas and every day of the year we will consider, in particular, the many gifts we have been given by our loving Heavenly Father. I hope we will receive these gifts with the wonder, thankfulness, and excitement of a child. 
My heart grows tender and warm as I think of the gifts our loving, gracious, and generous Father in Heaven has given us: the unspeakable gift of the Holy Ghost, the miracle of forgiveness, personal revelation and guidance, the Savior’s peace, the certainty and comfort that death is conquered—and many, many more. 
Above all, God has given us the gift of His Only Begotten Son, who sacrificed His life “that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”(John 3:16)
Have we received these gifts with humble gratitude, with joy? Or do we reject them out of pride or a false sense of independence? Do we feel our Father’s love expressed in these gifts? Do we receive them in a way that deepens our relationship with this wonderful, divine Giver? Or are we too distracted to even notice what God gives us each and every day? 
We know that “God loveth a cheerful giver,” (2 Corinthians 9:7) but does He not also love a good, grateful, and cheerful receiver?" (Pres. Uchtdorf)
So as "Joy to the World" (Hymn 201) so joyfully states, "Let earth receive her King, let every heart prepare him room."  Are you making room for Christ this time of year?  Does He need an invite? or is He already "received" cheerfully (see reference above)?  I find I need to cheerfully receive Him daily otherwise I find myself in the state of the past few days :(

Sorry I was grumpy and unable to post.

Receivingly,
Lindsay

No comments: