This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Describe Your Religious Beliefs

Dear Readers,

I can't keep track what day of the week it is.  It must mean that it is summertime!  I don't know why I don't schedule all of my posts, because I'd look a lot smoother if I did.

Anyways, I was recently faced with the task of filling out a questionnaire.  It included the statement:

"Describe your current religious beliefs and practices."

I knew the questionnaire would only be read by 1-2 people, so I didn't want to stress over it...too much.  On the other hand, I didn't know which two people would read my answer, and possibly the effects that could come from reading my answer.  I wanted it be accurate and also as complete as possible.  I was only given a few lines to hand write my answer on so I knew I wasn't going to be able to write out the whole doctrine of Christ/ Plan of Salvation, my testimony, the 12 articles of Faith, and what I do with my family, personal life, and ward congregation that would describe my "practices".  Eeks!

This is what I wrote.
"I believe that God is my Heavenly Father who created me.  Jesus Christ is my Savior and atoned for me.  I follow the doctrine of Christ.  I was baptized and I was married in one of God's holy temples.  I believe that I will live with God again and with my family in the next life.  The family is the most basic unit of society.  Our family is responsible to help one another follow Christ.  Parents have a sacred obligation to love, care for and nurture their children.  I read my scriptures and follow the teachings of God's prophets as they preach His words.  I am a Mormon."
I don't know who ended up reading it, but I felt like I did a good job considering the small space that I had.  I especially love that I was prompted to reference The Family: A Proclamation to the World.  I've been thinking about families a lot the past few weeks.  I also love how I ended it with "I am a Mormon."  I live in a place with not too many Mormons.  Whoever ended up reading my questionnaire would now know where to find information....guess I should have written "mormon.org"?  Too pushy.  No, it just feels good to know that I didn't back down from a situation to share about the doctrine of Christ.  I have many "missed opportunities" in my life, mainly because I didn't realize it was an opportunity until after it was over.  I'm trying to change that and embrace an opportunity to share my religious beliefs.

Happily,
Lindsay

No comments: