This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Over The Rainbow

Dear Readers,

Today I saw a rainbow.  It was beautiful.

I remembered that the rainbow was God's promise to us that He would never flood the earth again.  It makes me smile.  He will allow all sorts of  trials and tragedies, mishaps and disasters, but He will not flood the earth again.  I'm so glad I don't have to worry about that.  Cross that off the worry-list, because let's be honest, "flooded earth" is not the way I want to go.

As I marveled at the beauty and colors (yes, I checked for all of them as they melded into one another), I had a thought pop into my mind.  I realized that a rainbow is also a symbol of God's love for us.  I was filled with love.  Wrapped in it.

And I felt God's love.

It was beautiful.

Both the rainbow and God's love.

I came home and opened my scriptures to Genesis so that I could read the promise for myself.


 ¶And God spake unto Noah, and to his sons with him, saying,
 And I, behold, aI establish my bcovenant with you, and with your seed after you;
 10 And with every living creature that is with you, of the fowl, of the cattle, and of every beast of the earth with you; from all that go out of the ark, to every beast of the earth.
 11 And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a aflood to bdestroy the earth.c
 12 And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:
 13 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
 14 And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:
 15 And I will remember my acovenant, which bis between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a cflood to destroy all flesh.
 16 aAnd the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the beverlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.
 17 And God said unto Noah, This is the atoken of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.
The scriptures use the word covenant.  A covenant is a 2-way promise.  God is promising to never destroy the earth again through flood, but I couldn't find what He wanted out of me.  I found the other part of the covenant in Genesis 6:18.

But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons’ wives with thee.

Heavenly Father really does love me.  Because of Noah's faithfulness that he got on the ark, Heavenly Father made this covenant with all of his "seed" (that's me and you, verse 9), I will be spared.  Heavenly Father could have just said that it applied to Noah and his wife and sons and their wives.  They were the ones who had to keep up their part of the bargain.  They were the ones who had to exhibit trust and faithfulness.  What have I done?

You could say that there were many times that I stepped onto my figurative "ark", but those are different parallels and lessons for a different day.

The bottom line is that my Heavenly Father loves me.  Yes, He allows inconveniences to happen in my life, but He blesses me far more than enough to make up for them.

Somewhere over the rainbow,
way up high,
Smiles a Heavenly Father, 
promising I won't die.

(sing it, it works) ;)

Sunny and Smiling,
Lindsay

No comments: