This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Book of Mormon

Dear Readers,

About a month ago, I had the privilege of finishing the Book of Mormon again.  It took me over a year to read it through this time.  This time as I read, I made notes and drew diagrams of all of the peoples mentioned in the book.  I was tired of mixing up the stories and who belonged where and when.  It was fun to add to my diagrams each time that I read.  I don't know that I will remember everything perfectly, but I do feel like I started putting all the pieces in place to understand the people and history a little better.

The Book of Mormon is "Another Testament of Jesus Christ."  It is a companion to the Bible and provides a clearer picture of of the doctrine of Christ.  I love the stories that it tells.  My favorites are of the different prophets teaching doctrine, and of Christ's visit to His people in the Americas.

After I finished the last words on page 531, I went upstairs where it was quiet and I knelt down to pray.  I followed Moroni's exhortation in Moroni 10:4 where it says to "ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true".  Moroni then promises that "if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, [God] will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost."  As soon as I said my prayer, the Holy Ghost confirmed to me, as it has every time that I have asked, that the Book of Mormon is true.  It is God's words to his holy prophets, meant for me to read.

No angels appeared, I did not fall to the ground, and I wasn't overcome with emotion, but the Holy Ghost whispered to me in my mind and in my heart that it was true.  My chest felt constricted with a fullness that I also recognize to be His Spirit  confirming to me of the truthfulness of that book.

I invite all of you to read the Book of Mormon.  If you do not have a copy of the Book of Mormon, you may order one here.

Read it.  Pray about it.  Follow Moroni's Promise.  If you pray with a "sincere heart with real intent", see if the power of the Holy Ghost manifests the truth of it to you.

More thoughts on the Book of Mormon tomorrow,

Lindsay

No comments: