This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Monday, August 22, 2011

The Book of Mormon and Early Saints



Dear Readers,

Okay, okay, when I said more thoughts about the Book of Mormon "tomorrow", I meant "tomorrow" = soon.... sorry.  Like I said before, I needed some time to tweak this.

I finished the Book of Mormon a week before I left for Nauvoo.  During my stay in Nauvoo, IL my testimony of the Book of Mormon was deepened and strengthened as I learned about the impact that it had on the early Saints of the Church.

They LOVED this book.  They told everyone about it and invited everyone to read it.  Through reading the Book of Mormon, many were converted.

Parley P. Pratt was given a copy of the Book of Mormon.  He wrote in his autobiography:

"I read all day; eating was a burden, I had no desire for food; sleep was a burden when the night came, for I preferred reading to sleep."

He joined the Church and then became a great missionary converting many others who became great missionaries.  All because he read the Book of Mormon.  Parley's life really is fascinating.  He is a great example to me and I highly suggest that you read this article from the Ensign all about his life (also the source of the above quote.)

AND speaking of other great conversions from reading the Book of Mormon......

Brigham Young was also converted in this way.  You MUST read this article.  It is absolutely FASCINATING and so beautifully tells of Brigham Young and his friend Heber C. Kimball and their search for the truth and how a Book of Mormon was left with Phinneas Young that provided the way for them.

Seriously, please read it.  If you don't have time now, bookmark it or something.  Maybe you could save it to your Study Notebook.  Husband has started using it and loves it, even though I still don't prefer it (see #6).

I love these stories that give me so much inspiration.  How often do I read scripture like Parley P. Pratt where anything else is a burden?  How often is it that the reading is the burden and everything else is what  I want to do?  Brigham Young said that he wanted to "roar the gospel to the nations" (see above article).  Am I roaring?  I am working on it.

I love my personal growth in becoming more missionary-minded.  Just like Parley P. Pratt and Brigham Young, missionaries today seek to hand out Book of Mormons (make sure to scroll all the way down).  The Book of Mormon is "Another Testament of Jesus Christ."

I love the Book of Mormon.  I am grateful that it meant to much to the early latter-day saints.  I am grateful for Joseph Smith's diligence in translating it.  He was persecuted all of his life for his "gold bible".  I love this video from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, one of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.



Daughter has started carrying around one of the "military" Book of Mormons (Is that the appropriate term?).  It is pocket-sized and just perfect for her hand-size.  She has started to ask me to read to her from it, so I flip and find short stories to read to her.  It is a sweet time for us.  I am grateful that she is learning to love the Book of Mormon.  I am also grateful that it keeps me reading from the Book of Mormon daily.  I have to decided to quickly read The Doctrine and Covenants before the end of the year.  It is shorter than the Book of Mormon and I am just dying to read it after my trip to Nauvoo.  I saw some of the places where revelations where received.

I do look forward though to my next reading of the Book of Mormon.

Regards,
Lindsay

No comments: