This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Keeping Confidences

Dear Friend M,

Hmm.  Tonight Husband and I were sitting outside on our porch and he says to me, "I get the feeling that (so-and-so) thinks that she is better than you about (fill-in-the-blank).

Well, I thought to myself "He's never even talked to so-and-so.  His opinion of her has been completely formed by what I have spoken about her."

This article popped into my head, so I am sharing it with you.  Not because I think that you need it, quite the contrary.  I actually just chuckled to myself that I decided to send this to you, because I definitely do not think of you as a gossip or anything like that.

The article is called "Keeping Confidences".  I first came across it awhile ago, but I never knew how to share it with anyone, because it's not very uplifting.  That's not what I mean.  When I read it, I feel like I've been punched in the gut, because it speaks so clearly about our use of words and the many ways that we can use them in hurtful ways (and I know I should be better).  I am assuming that others might also feel the same way, thus not being very uplifting.

I love the images that Bro. Hiller makes when describing the different ways we handle information.  The comparisons really help me to understand.  When we hear words like "gossip" or "criticism" I don't know that we always think about keeping information private.  Bro. Hiller outlines several scenarios and "personalities".

I feel like this article lays it all out perfectly on how we should interact with others, or rather how we shouldn't.

Hope all is well.  Graduation is coming soon.  I can't believe it.  What are you plans?

Respectfully,
Lindsay

No comments: