This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Love the Children Part 1

*****This installment of "Out of the Mouth of Prophets" was written as one document,
 but since it is 5 pages long it will be posted  in two parts.*****

Dear Readers,

I love serving in the Primary.  This is the organization for children ages 18 months to 11 years.  I have served in many different Primaries and have had different responsibilities.  Some are leaders, some are teachers, and some are music people.  Over the years, I’ve done it all.

A few weeks ago I was released.  It has been very interesting to me how people have reacted to me.  One woman said “I thought you’d be happy to have a break, to get away from the kids.”

Um, NO.  You love those you serve and I loved each and every precious child that was in my current Primary.  This comment and other comments have provided me with the opportunity to think about my love of children.  They are wonderful spirits, not little people to be endured or whatever it is that other people are thinking.

This past conference there were three talks that I am going to highlight now.  The first was by Mary N Cook (Young Women General Presidency), “Be an example of the Believers”.  The second talk is the Primary General President, Rosemary M Wixom’s, “Stay on the Path” and lastly, “Courageous Parenting” by Larry R. Lawrence of the second quorum of the Seventy.  These are found in the Sunday Morning, Saturday Morning, and Sunday Afternoon sessions respectively.

Little children want to be loved.  Even “big” children such as teenagers or my parents (they say they feel like they’re 18 still!) want to be loved.  You don’t just love children because you have to.  Some people were surprised that I still cared about them even though I didn’t have to.

Serious?

I still care about their favorite Pokemon of the moment, what books they are reading, the hair clip in their hair, that they didn’t get sung to on their birthday, that the girl on the playground was mean, the latest Lego creation, or whatever it is that they tell me and want to be interested in.  That holds true whether I have a title or not.  I do not have stewardship to make decisions concerning the way their Sunday classes are organized anymore, but I do have a stewardship to help raise up the rising generation.  These are tomorrow’s leaders!!!  These are tomorrow’s leaders in the Church and in our communities.  If I want them to be tomorrow’s examples to others, then I need to teach them how to do that, TODAY.  We all need to help.

Sis. Cook agrees, she says, “You may not be raising a prophet as Lucy [Mack Smith] was, but you are certainly raising tomorrow’s leaders.”  Sis. Wixom says:
"For children all over the world, we say: “Take my hand. Hold on tight. We will stay on the path together back to our Heavenly Father.”
Parents, grandparents, neighbors, friends, Primary leaders—each of us can reach out to hold on to the children. We can stop, kneel down, and look into their eyes and feel of their innate desire to follow the Savior. Take hold of their hands. Walk with them. It is our chance to anchor them on the path of faith."
Yes, Yes, Yes.  This is how I feel.  Little children you can trust me.  I want to help you.  I know that all you really care about is having adults being interested in you.  I know that you love the Savior and don’t want the distractions of the world.  You only accept the world’s ways when you see that is what other adults are interested in.

She continues:

"No child needs to walk the path alone so long as we speak freely to our children of the plan of salvation. Understanding the plan will help them hold to the truths that they are children of God and He has a plan for them, that they lived with Him in the premortal existence that they shouted for joy to come to this earth, and that through the Savior’s help, we all can return to our Heavenly Father’s presence. If they understand the plan and who they are, they will not fear."

This is why I love being a Primary leader.  I have the privilege of helping children understand the Plan of Salvation.  I love the Plan.  Some children are taught these things at home.  I love to hear these children articulate gospel topics at such a young age.  Other children are not taught these truths at home and I get to fill in the gaps in their learning so that they can know the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Children make me happy.  They simplify life.  I love it when they ask me things like, “Did you have fun today?”  I replied, “You mean like, at my house?” and she said “Yeah.”  Okay, I don’t know what she thinks I do during the day, but I got the biggest kick out of being asked if I had fun.


*****To Be Continued.  Be sure to watch for Part 2.  It's already been written.  I will schedule it to post for Thursday to give everyone a chance to catch up.

No comments: