This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Temple Square Trip

Dear Readers,

Hello.  This is me!!! (I look a little tired, but Husband assures me that I look good, and I do agree that it shows that I've been hitting the gym:) 
I haven't posted any pictures in forever, and if you've been reading from the beginning then you know that I typically don't post a lot of pictures anyways for privacy reasons.  However, I have felt like I should share these pictures with you.  They are obviously from Christmastime.

We found ourselves at Temple Square.  Temple Square is in Salt Lake City, Utah, where the Mormon Church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) is headquartered.  Temple Square is a collection of buildings that are important to our Church.  These include the Salt Lake Temple, the Salt Lake Tabernacle (where the Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs), General Church Office Building (Church headquarters), the Conference Center is across the street, and there are visitor centers and other buildings as well each of which are significant for different things.  Click here to read all about them.

We went three days in a row to Temple Square and Husband, Daughter and I had a BLAST!!!

We went to Temple Square to see the lights.  It is so beautiful to see them in the trees and how they complement the always lit temple.
Our happy and very excited family!!!
A nativity that had narration and music of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  This picture does not include the wise men, shepherds and other vignettes that they had.
We are having so much fun seeing the temple!!!  Daughter was just ecstatic (and here's a big "cheese!").
The love of my life.  Look at his eyes.....okay, leave them to me, but with Valentine's Day approaching, I am extra love-sick.
My amateur pictures of the temple.  It is so grand, even in daylight, and I can't believe that it was built in the 1800's.  Read more here to understand why temples are so special to the Mormon Church.
I love that the Church Office Building is in this picture (see to the right of the temple).


Daughter is so excited when I tell her that we get to come back to the temple the next day.

 I don't have any pictures from the middle day.  Husband and I went inside the temple and since Daughter does not have a recommend, she just had to wait and look at displays in the Visitor Centers.  We loved seeing the Nativity again (kids love repetition!!!) and the other buildings.  I told her that the last day she would actually get to touch the temple, not just look at it.

What a memory this girl has!!!  The next day when we were in our Sunday best, we went on the temple grounds and she ran over to the temple.  It took me a minute to realize that she was "touching" the temple.
 Our family on the temple steps.
 These pictures are in front of the Christmas tree that was in the building "where President Monson works."  President Monson is the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  He works in the Church Office Building along with the general authorities of the Mormon Church.  This article has more information about the building.  This also was so exciting to Daughter to have this privilege that we couldn't get very great pictures.  We often use the wording "Please bless President Monson and those he works with" in our prayers, so it was just too exciting to see where they ALL work.


In one of the Visitor Centers they have this large statue of Jesus Christ.  You can listen to a narration that uses His words from the scriptures.  I wanted Daughter to get to see that so that was our very last stop.

Over the years I have been able to visit Temple Square.  This visit was extra special with Daughter.

If any of you readers ever have a layover in Salt Lake City, you can take a free shuttle to Temple Square.  They can give you a tour and have you back at the airport in a very timely manner.  I forget how long they say it takes, but know that the opportunity is there.  I am sure you will see signs in the airport.  I always do.

In summary, this post could also be called "Faith, Family, Fun" because that is really what these pictures show.  I am not a Mormon because I have to be, but because of the peace that these beliefs bring me.  I love my family.  We are so happy and we have so much fun together.  Life is awesome.

Peacefully,
Lindsay

No comments: