This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Life Changer


Dear Friend J,

I don't know how to get in touch with you anymore.  I am not even sure if J is your name, it's been a few years and I can't remember.  Today I wanted to write to you, because it marks 4 years ago today that we our paths crossed.

Husband was invited to interview at your school.  As this was his first choice I decided to accompany him.  I remember the anticipation that went on for several weeks.  We looked up your information on an alumni list to see if we could stay with you and you graciously agreed.  There were many phone calls back and forth.  You were so giving of your time, available to answer all of our questions about the school and the surrounding area.  I even spoke with your wife to get a wife's point of view.

When we arrived in your city, we were welcomed with open arms and a lot of hospitality.  I was impressed that you planned such gourmet meals for us.  You didn't make us feel like we were intruding on your wife and two kids, but celebrated that we were there.  I was touched that you invited over students so that we could gain even more perspective into the school and area.  You took us to church and introduced us to many and I am grateful.

Over the past four years I have often thought about that trip.  I remember how much fun we had exploring your city.  I remember the nice guest accommodations that you made for us down in the basement; so comfy!!!  I remember your unabashed display of hospitality and am touched by all that you would do for 2 complete strangers.  But, I also remember something else.

I remember that surely Husband and I were not good guests.  You see, three days before our arrival we had a miscarriage.  I am sure that I was a zombie for much of the weekend.  I remember crying myself to sleep down in the basement every night, confused about my life, but in a city thousands of miles away from home.  We should have told you, but for some reason we didn't.  I am afraid we did not show our thanks adequately, and all of these years it has bothered me, because when I think of people that I want to be like, you always top my list.

In an effort to make things up, every year we have hosted students with interviews.  I have provided babysitting to people interviewing.  We open up our home to complete strangers, following your example, and try to show the same Christ-like qualities that you exhibit.

The Lord's will dictated that we attended a different school than you (ironically your second choice).  I hope that you have much success in your life and that the Lord will bless you for your good works.  I am deeply grateful for the things that I have learned from you.

With gratitude,
Lindsay

No comments: