This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

General Relief Society Meeting


Dear Grandma,
  
How are you?  This morning we seem to have had our first bit of cold.  It looked like frost on the grass, but I was too much in a hurry to get a good look.  I'm sure it was just a heavy dew.  We all woke up freezing as the thermostat was still set to the air conditioner instead of the heater!!!  I guess this means that Fall is here.  It is probably my favorite time of year.  I wish I was up by you to feel the crisp cool mornings, and the light drizzle and fog that lingers in the moonlight.  Ahh, memories...

Saturday night I went to the General Relief Society Meeting.  This meeting is for all of the women in our Church ages 18 and up.  We listen to a satellite broadcast together, gathered in countries all around the world to hear what the Church leaders would say specifically to the women.  I know you are wondering why I am telling you about this, and it is because I wish you were there.

The topics included the history of Relief Society and how we should learn the stories of those who came before, to know who we are now as an organization.  Visiting teaching is a way to minister to all of the women and make sure their needs are met, and most importantly that everyone has a friend.

Our prophet spoke to us.  His name is Thomas S. Monson, and I know that he is a true prophet that has been called by God to be his mouthpiece to us here on Earth.  He spoke about being critical of others.  He quoted Mother Teresa and said "“If you judge people, you have no time to love them."  He asked that women would stop being so hard on themselves, because we are unique and special.  He asked us to be charitable.  I know you would have loved to hear his words, Grandma, to see of the love that our prophet has for the women of this Church.  His message was to all women everywhere, and that includes you.

I know you'll probably say no, and that's okay, but I would like to invite you to watch General Conference this weekend.  October 2nd-3rd we will be listening to more messages from the Prophet, the Apostles, and other leaders of our Church.

Love,
Lindsay

No comments: