This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Time to Speak Out


Dear Readers,

Tonight I was watching a presentation of a woman showing pictures from her recent trip to Egypt.  It was very interesting as she remembered many facts to tell us to go along with her pictures.  Some of the pictures were showing temples where every square inch was carved with hieroglyphics.  I mean, floor to ceiling, even underneath the doorway areas.

Some even looked like this.

We were marveling at how meticulous and precise each marking was and surmising that it must have taken a lot of time to make that many carvings.  Well at this point a woman yells out "They didn't have Facebook back then.  They didn't have anything else to do besides carve."

Isn't that just awful?  People spend so much time on Facebook that they don't have for anything else.  I do happen to know how much time this woman spends on that site along with her friends.

That is one reason why I never joined the site initially.  I saw how much time my siblings w-a-s-t-e-d on it, and I didn't want that to be me.  Then I saw all of the privacy issues that have been in the news over the past few months and knew that I wanted to stay in control of my online destiny.  People get fired over their accounts?!?!?!  (I know they can also get hired...)  Then I looked over my siblings shoulders and read what people write on the "wall" thing or whatever.  Absolute garbage and a waste of time to type and to read it, and it creates an online chaos to wade through to read all of the birthday, engagement, baby announcements, etc. that people seem to think they have to get their news from......(No offense to A.  I am not just talking about you, I promise, but I know you are my only faithful reader, so I guess it does seem kind of pointed at you....sorry!!!)

My challenge to anyone and everyone who will listen is to skip Facebook.  I am not on it and I think I am a happy, well-adjusted person with many friends.  If I want to talk to someone I either call them on the phone or send them an email, or (gasp!) a letter in the mail.  Seriously, you can live a happy productive life without having to worry about maintaining a superficial friendship with hundreds of people.

There I said it.  I spoke out against Facebook.  One thing that so many people swear they can't live without.

Respectfully,
Lindsay

No comments: