This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Two Holidays in One


Dear Mother,

Pioneer Day!!!  This year I bought a wagon wheel decoration for my house.  Talking to A. on the phone, she asked if it was for my garden, and I said "No, it's exactly what I said...a wagon wheel for my house."  I want to make a centerpiece thing with it.  Now that I've missed that boat, because it was yesterday, I will now have all year to find a buffalo skull thing to go with it.  I've always thought it was cool that the pioneers would write messages on them and leave them for the next traveler.  This past week we were driving through a wildlife refuge and I saw a sign that said "Bison viewing area" so I yelled at Husband to slam on the brakes so we could jump out and see the Bison.  Seeing their dried buffalo chips made me think of the pioneer songs out of the Primary Songbook, especially "Little Pioneer Children".

This is how we commemorated Pioneer Day.  At a BBQ playing SAND volleyball at this awesome house out in the country.  Can you believe somebody trucked in all that sand into a landlocked state?!?!?!?  It was very fun to say the least.  That's the moon coming up near the end of the night.
It's only been 3 weeks since Independence Day, but I totally feel like everyone is all done being patriotic.  In stores everything has been cleared out to make way for school supplies and pumpkins.  That is why I purposefully waited a few weeks before I wrote about the Fourth of July, so that I could remind people that this is an everyday thing.

I am so glad that I live in this country.  I am so glad that my voice can be heard.  I am grateful for the freedoms that we have.  I love everything red, white, and blue.  Daughter loves Fourth of July, too.  We could not get her to stand still for a picture.  I love how this accurately shows her energy that day.
I really wanted a picture though, since I MADE that dress.  As in I SEWED that dress.  Okay, I added a ruffle to a t-shirt and slapped on a bow, but I am so proud, because I don't have a lot of sewing accomplishments to my name.  Thanks for the things you've taught me over the years.  Daughter looks adorable!!!!  She loves that dress.  She knows that there is something special about it.
We watched a parade in the morning and in the evening we got to see ANOTHER patriotic band concert.  This one was bigger.  It had a philharmonic, and they lit up that civic center, and then lit off fireworks that were choreographed to the music, "1812 Overture" by Tchaikovsky (I love that piece, played it in high school!!!) and "Stars and Stripes Forever" by Sousa.  Then of course there were more fireworks at the end.  It was awesome.  I knew all but one song on this program, so it was a true delight.  Nothing boring about it.
 Yes, I love Fourth of July.  I am proud to be an American.  God bless America, my home sweet home.  I know part of my love comes from how we celebrated the Fourth of July growing up.  Thanks for teaching me.

Love,
Lindsay

No comments: