This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Judge Not that Ye Be Not Judged


Dear Friend T,

I was telling you before about selling our extra car, which has been a great blessing to us in our journey to simplify.  However, throughout this process I have been so surprised by one thing.  We have had to justify our decision to so many people, when it shouldn't matter to them.

It made me think about the judging that I routinely do.  As if others need to ask my permission to make decisions in their lives.  Ridiculous.  It made think of the scripture in the New Testament that says, "Judge not, that ye be not judged." (Matthew 7:1-2)

The car is a tangible object.  There is not reason for it to be a major issue with people.

Judges make judgments on cases in their courtroom.  That is something that they have stewardship over.  Bishops in our church make judgments for those that they have stewardship over.  There are times that judgments should be made, but over a car?

People don't need to do things a certain way to make me happy.  I don't rule the world, but sometimes I find myself judging something dumb, like clothes, parenting skills, intellectual ability, etc.  A bunch of little things that don't really matter.  Jesus taught that we shouldn't judge, so that is something that I will continue to work on for the rest of my life.

I hope you had a Happy Fourth of July.

Thoughtfully,
Lindsay

No comments: