This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Change Daily


Dear Brother,

Thank you for the kind words.  I have been thinking about some of the things that you have said and about how our relationship has been over the years.  Since you have written to me I have been mulling over some things I'd like to share with you.  I know it's been awhile since you wrote to me and I apologize for being slow.  I could just never make the jumble of thoughts in my head sound right when I wrote them down.

For some reason I have been thinking of this one thing to share.  Do you remember who had the pair of pajama pants that had the label that said "Change Daily"?  I might be remembering wrong, but I think it was you.  It was some no-name brand I think, but I remember that all of us kids thought it was hilarious that a pair of pants would carry a reminder to wear clean underwear as that's what we took it to mean.

I feel like I need to change daily.  I am always realizing that there is something that I could do better.

I need to change my parenting daily to keep up with Daughter's ever changing growth.  Right when I think I have her figured out, she's turned into someone different who is of course much more grown up :)

I also don't change my beliefs daily, but how I live them.  As I become more and more devoted to God, I change my daily actions to reflect that.

Now, I will be one of the first to admit that change can be scary, because it is unknown, but over the years I have learned to look forward to change, because it means growth with new challenges, and that's exciting to me.

I remembered that there was a good talk recently in General Conference about change and I was going to look it up to share with you, but in searching for it, I realized that the reason why I couldn't remember the specifics was because there have been a plethora of talks on change over the past 2-3 years.  Rather than pick just one, I decided to read all of them and share them with you.  I hope you get time to read them sometime, I know you're busy, but I have found such pertinent info in all of them.  It is amazing how relevant they are to my current life.




this is the talk that I was originally looking for!!!  read it if you only have time for one, and I have to include:


It has been an awesome morning reading all of those about change.  It also makes me remember something.  Once I was talking to a woman who was very interested in personalities and analyzing relationships between people.  With all of her knowledge, I was surprised when she kept saying to me, "but this is how I am.  I can't change.  This is just who I am," when referring to herself and her own personality and relationships.  I always felt so sad for her that she didn't realize that she could change and that it would be a good thing.  She would still be herself, just a better self, a more Christ-like perfected self.

Everyone has flaws and shortcomings, but that doesn't mean that we are stuck with them and just have to accept them.  We all have our agency to choose to improve ourselves, and I know that by doing so we will receive so much joy and happiness with our "better" characteristics that we will never miss that we are "different" from before.  I hope that she'll understand this principle someday so that she can have the same joy that I have regarding change.

I love you so much, and am glad that you are my brother.  I cannot wait to see you!!! (and I am so sorry it took me so long to get back to you)

Love,
Lindsay

No comments: