This blog is not an official website of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor is Lindsay their official spokesperson.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Staying Out of Trouble


Dear Dad,
  
I thought you might get a kick out of this.

Yesterday, there was a knock at our door.  I could see through the blinds that it was some kind of salesman, because he had just unloaded a large pack that was clearly holding his wares.  Husband was home so I had him get the door.


All I hear next is, "Do you want to buy some candy for my basketball team?"  Now I didn't want any of the peanut brittle, but Husband and I did want to support him.  Anyone who walks around with chocolate products all day in ninety degree weather for their High School basketball team is pretty good in my book.  So we buy one little box of the peanut brittle, which was way overpriced, but I kept telling myself that was for the fundraiser part.

So after he leaves, Husband tells me what was really said.  It went,

Boy: Do you want to buy some candy for my basketball team?
Husband: How much is it?
Boy: I have 3 different flavors of peanut brittle at $4.95 each.
Husband:  Okay we'll take the chocolate dipped peanut brittle.
Boy: Okay, you'll have to put it in the refrigerator.  I have been outside selling all day.
Husband: What basketball team is this for?
Boy: I go to (local) High School and this is a program to help us raise money for our basketball team and to help keep the kids out of trouble.
Husband: What position do you play?
Boy: Second String Point Guard
Husband: What year are you?
Boy: Senior
Husband: Good luck.

This is how they keep the kids out of trouble?  Summer just started and these boys are going to door-to-door it for the next few months?  I do have to say the boy was very polite and seemed like a good kid, so I have no idea if he needed help staying out of trouble or not.

We probably should have given him an extra For the Strength of Youth book, and told him that would keep him out of trouble if he read it, but I didn't hear the original conversation.  I am grateful that I don't have to worry about keeping my kids out of trouble, because they have so many tools that they can use.

Love,
Lindsay

No comments: